Monday, May 12, 2008

Car Seat Safety

April 22, 2008
Car seat safety class sounds like a normal night right? Well I had to host it at my house and I was totally fine. Then they asked us to get all our car seats so we could check them and make sure they were safe. So I got Maddy’s and Boston’s. Then I had to dig in a closet to get London’s. I want to know if it is safe when I eventually do have another baby. I mean… IF I ever do. Then one of my good friends see the car seat and says, ”Yours is so clean, it looks brand new.” I respond with an ache in the pit of my stomach, “It has never been used.” It was not something that was meant to hurt and I know that. It just reminded me that all the women around me had babies and were worrying about the safety of their child. They talked about how the hospital checks to make sure the car seat is properly placed before you take your baby home. That just reminded me of that horrible/beautiful night where I didn’t have to worry about a car seat. The doctor told me that she would die by that night so it wouldn’t matter if we put her in a car seat. Then we ran out of the hospital with her in my arms and I held her in the front seat. No car seat. She was going to die anyway so why worry about safety. So instead of worrying about buckling her in so she wouldn’t get hurt in the car, she died in my arms in the car 10 minutes away from the hospital. It was a little ironic to be learning about preventing your baby from dying in a car when my baby already had.

No comments: